Deadline: Monday, September 12, 2022
Job Title: Assistant Zoning/Code Enforcement Officer
Department: Planning & Zoning
Hours: Full time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Community Planning
Appointed by the Board of Supervisors for the position of Assistant Zoning Officer and Code Enforcement Officer, this is a technical position that stresses knowledge of municipal zoning and involves the administration and field work, as well as interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning Code, Stormwater Code, and other Township codes. Work is performed independently and reviewed by the Department Director assigned through oral and written reports for adherence to established technical and legal standards, and for consistent application of regulations.
Minimum Requirements to Hold this Position
- High school diploma or equivalent plus a working knowledge in enforcement and administration of Zoning Regulations;
- Prior municipal experience preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of zoning, subdivision & land development, and stormwater ordinances, as well as architectural and construction principles and practices;
- Conflict management, critical thinking and organizational skills are essential;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to enforce regulations impartially with finesse and tact;
- Proficiency and experience using ESRI ArcMap, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and willingness to learn/master other database management systems as required.
- Valid Driver’s License.
4) Ability to Operate or Use the Following:
- Standard office equipment, including but not limited to computer, printer, phone, copy/scanner, etc.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Apply knowledge of Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, municipal zoning code and general municipal codes to daily tasks. Working knowledge to include administration, inspections, and enforcement, including but not limited to:
- Performs reviews including land use, zoning, floodplain, plat restrictions, court orders, property ownership and property address;
- Work with Township Staff to properly process constructions permits;
- Process Appeals to the Zoning Hearing Board, prepare summaries of ZHB applications for the Board of Supervisors, attend all evening Zoning Hearing Board meetings and advise the Board on various zoning-related matters;
- Administer the implementation and enforcement of various land use regulations;
- Review and investigate complaints relating to potential zoning and stormwater management violations and other general township code as assigned;
- Conduct site inspections and investigations; Administer Enforcement actions against property owners including preparing Notices of Violations and filing Citations to District Court;
- Coordinate with administrative staff, police department and solicitor’s office as required; Maintain log.
- Apply knowledge of PHMC’s Municipal Records Manual and Township resolutions/policies to efficiently manage zoning and parcel file records, both in paper and electronic format;
- Maintain working knowledge of the Township’s GIS system and other databases, particularly with respect to municipal workflows;
- Assist GIS Administrator as needed to:
- Work with GIS consultant to build features into the GIS system to streamline workflows;
- Build essential components of the GIS system to support the MS4 program including mapping of stormwater system and BMP’s and easements;
- Provide mapping services upon request to support various municipal programs.
- Supply technical information and assistance to other Staff, consultants, property owners, developers, government agencies, and the public on matters relating to zoning and development;
- Other general duties as assigned.
Physical Demands (also see button below)
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while working;
- Ability to bend, stoop, climb, crouch, lift, push/pull, and reach above the shoulder up to 35% of the workday for inspecting facilities;
- Ability to lift and carry files, tools, and equipment up to 35 pounds up to 10% of the workday;
- Ability to use both the right and left hand for repetitive actions and firm grasping of tools, equipment, and objects;
- Ability to drive an automobile and to climb ladders in performance of inspections functions;
- Ability to be exposed to dust, fumes, gasses, and noise when performing inspections functions.
Examples of Job Duties – not all inclusive
- Conduct inspections and investigations for related zoning/code items, reviewing plans for compliance with the Township Code;
- Assist in processing and administration of Land Development Applications;
- Manage zoning and parcel files as well as database listings;
- Issue citations and represent the Township in court proceedings when necessary;
- Act as the liaison to the Zoning Hearing Board for all zoning appeals;
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This Job Description is designed to accurately reflect job duties. However, it may not be all inclusive and other job-related duties may be required. Reasonable accommodations will be made as required by local, state, or federal laws that do not cause an undue hardship.