Deadline: Monday, January 25, 2021
The Finance Director works under the direction of the City Manager’s Office for the City of Morgantown and is responsible for the comprehensive financial operation of the City. They are responsible for annual budgeting, preparation of the Capital Improvement Program, financial reporting, revenue collection, risk management and insurance, cash and debt management, pension funds, Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts, and ongoing development and monitoring of financial strategic goals for the City of Morgantown.
The Finance Director works collaboratively with the city’s management team, City employees, City Council, various boards and commission, tax and fee payers, vendors, and others and provides them with financial advice and recommendations related to City programs and services. The Finance Director must perform duties in compliance with City Code, State Regulations, and departmental policies and directives.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform this position. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, techniques, and practice of government budgeting.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, ordinances and codes pertaining to municipal financing.
- Knowledge of principles of personnel management, including supervision, training, coaching, and performance evaluation.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, email, accounting software and internet browser programs.
- Ability to think strategically and analyze situations to understand the impact decisions will have on the City.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the editing, oversight and preparation of technical reports, and the presentation of information in various formats to government entities, various committees, and the public.
- Thoroughness and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a team with other department heads and employees, staff, and others to complete projects and other duties.
- Strong work ethic and diligent to deliver results with excellence.
- Ability to exercise sound, ethical, and independent judgment within general policy guidelines and best professional practices.
The City of Morgantown is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to race, religion, gender, age, national origin, color, creed, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, or other characteristics protected by law. Background check required.
- Five (5) years of progressive responsibility in a financial management position.
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Education: A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts from an accredited College or University in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
Preferred Qualifications: Two (2) years of government related financial experience. Customer service experience. Intermediate user of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook. Contact with Public and Officials: This position frequently communicates with city management, department heads, city council, boards, citizens, business owners, and other partied concerning financial related matters.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to type, file or lift office supplies up to 20 pounds. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and hear.
Equipment Used: General office equipment is frequently used, including but not limited to computers, laptops, telephone and cell phone, printers, scanners, copiers, and cameras.
The Ideal Candidate: The ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge and experience in financial management. Knowledge of the government budget process would be extremely beneficial in this position.
Salary Range is $93,000 to $100,000.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by January 25, 2021