Deadline: Wednesday, March 20, 2019
SALARY RANGE: Depends on Qualifications
The Chief Building Official interprets and enforces the provisions of the City of Reading Building Code, The ICC International Building Code, the ICC International Existing Building Code, the ICC International Residential Code, the ICC International Energy Conservation Code, and the ICC Accessibility Code. Such codes are amended from time to time as revised by each code making organization. This position manages Building/Trades Inspectors and clerical support staff.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Write modifications to the City of Reading Building Code.
- Develop procedures for obtaining Building/Trades permits.
- Make recommendations on hiring staff personnel.
- Oversee the City of Reading, One Stop Program.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Develop and manage the Building/Trades Division budget.
- Provide technical information and informed opinions to design professionals, contractors, lawyers, developers, real estate agents, and building owners on building code issues and other related regulatory requirements.
- Work closely with staff and all City of Reading departments to ensure compliance with City, State, and Federal regulations, statutes, and ordinances relating to the daily operations of the department and the building industry.
- Consult with Building/Trades Inspectors to resolve issues in the built environment.
- Address staff conflicts and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Review building plans and applications for building permits for compliance with the City of Reading Building Code.
- Issue permits for building construction or alterations required by the City of Reading Building Code.
- Conduct inspections with Building/Trades staff to ensure code compliance.
- Issue Certificates of Occupancy.
- Investigate unsafe building conditions and provide resolutions in accordance with the City of Reading Building Code.
- Develop and prepare daily, weekly, and monthly reports as required.
- Serve as liaison to the City of Reading Building/Fire Board of Appeals.
- Attend Building/Fire Board of Appeals meetings as necessary, conducted after hours.
- Respond to emergencies in the built environment as requested by other City of Reading departments, sometimes after hours.
- Attend appropriate continuing education seminars/training to keep certifications current, sometimes conducted after hours.
- Minimum high school diploma/GED.
- Must possess current Commonwealth of PA, Department of Labor and Industry or International Code Council Certifications as a Building Code Official, Commercial Building Inspector, Building Plans Examiner, and Commercial Accessibility Inspector as required by PA Act 45 of 1999 as amended, known as the PA Uniform Construction Code.
- Valid PA Driver’s License
- At least 10 years’ experience in the building construction trade with at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
How To Apply
Qualified, interested candidates must submit a current resume, application and a letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org