Engage in the Cities are Essential Campaign:
Be Sure Your Member of Congress Knows How Much COVID-19 has Cost Your Municipality!
We are anticipating the work Congress will be doing as it returns from its July 4th recess. The National League of Cities’ advocacy team is expecting the second half of July to be the timing of a 4th federal relief bill.
Now is the time to be certain your municipality has shared information on the local impact and costs of the pandemic. Local “stories” are important to helping our elected representatives in Congress understand how this crisis has affected their constituents.
There are currently several bipartisan proposals in Congress to provide funding to local governments. Rather than endorsing one proposal over another, NLC is advocating for:
- $500 billion over 2 years for the essential work of local government;
- Fair and direct funding to every local government;
- Equal funding for municipal and county government; and
- Maximum flexibility to use the funds to address the consequences of COVID-19.
“NLC Advocacy’s page” has a letter you can use and send directly to your member of Congress, as well as to Senators Casey and Toomey. You can customize the letter with local information. You can also use the letter as a template and send on your own. Finally, virtual meetings would be another great way to communicate this important information. Whatever method, we encourage you to tell your local stories now!
The fiscal health and economic recovery of local government is essential to the recovery of the nation.
Resources & Tools
- Revenue Loss for Cities, Boroughs, Towns and Townships as a Share of Total Own-Source Revenue by State, 2020
- States with Most Severe Revenue for Cities, Boroughs, Towns and Townships as a Share of Total Own-Source Revenue by State, 2020
- NLC Brief – Fiscal Impact of the Pandemic
- NLC One Pager – Revenue Loss Due to COVID-19
- Cities Are Essential – One-Pager
- Cities Are Essential – Myths & Truths
- Cities Are Essential – Key Messaging
- Cities Are Essential – Letter to Congress
- Targets for Cities Are Essential Campaign (Subject to Change)
- Cities Are Essential Infographic
- Heroes Act State and Local Relief Funds
- Cities Are Essential – Advocacy Talking Points