Deadline: February 29, 2024
Lancaster Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Location: 1240 Maple Avenue, Lancaster, Pennsylvania 17603
Position: Chief of Police
The Chief of Police directs and controls the overall performance of the police department, administers its operations, and performs general police duties.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, administration, control, direction budgeting, inspection, planning, organizing, community relations and supervising all police personnel. The person in this position is responsible for implementing department policy which meets or exceeds the current best acceptable standards, securing the police facility and protecting all property used or stored within the facility.
The Chief shall follow the chain of command as outlined in the department table of organization. The chief shall report to the Township Manager on all matters including operations, budget or any dispute/complaint that may reflect negatively on the township.
The Chief of police is a working position and as such may regularly oversee/perform investigative/ police duties in the community.
- Must have MPOETC act 120 certification.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation and mandated physical and psychological evaluation or any other test deemed necessary.
- Must have at least 5 years of successful progressive police supervisory experience Must be familiar with the Accreditation process as outlined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Law Enforcement Accreditation process.
- Knowledge of police practice and theory
- Knowledge of budgeting methods and theory
- Knowledge of supervisory, administrative theory, including practical experience
- Knowledge of criminal and traffic laws, Title 18, 75 of the Pennsylvania Code and the rules of criminal procedure
- Knowledge of Federal and State law enforcement and relationship to local law enforcement
- Ability to collaborate with other departments and municipalities.
- Ability to interpret policies and provide disciplinary recommendations.
- Ability to quickly evaluate problems and take decisive action.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively organize work tasks, define goals and objectives and manage work schedules to meet community needs.
- Must have the ability to utilize the following equipment and maintain certification as required: police car, police radio, handgun and other weapons, first aid/CPR equipment, desk/mobile computer, email as well as any other required equipment.
- Must possess a Pennsylvania Driver’s license.
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree and a record of continuing career education and development are required. A master’s degree is preferred. A combination of education, training, and experience that closely meets the needs of Lancaster Township will be considered.
How to Apply
Please see full job description and forward resume and required documentation detailing qualifications to www.twp.lancaster.pa.us
Lancaster Township is an equal opportunity employer.