Deadline: February 29, 2024
Bargaining Unit: Non-Bargaining
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Schedule: Typically Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some evening and weekend responsibilities.
Reports To: President of Township Council
The Chief Municipal Clerk is a full time, appointed position that is responsible for providing administrative support to the Township Council Office. Duties of the Municipal Clerk include clerical and administrative tasks necessary to support the public meeting process, such as keeping minutes and records of Council proceedings, maintaining and compiling ordinances and resolutions, and performing such other functions as may be required by law or by Township Ordinance.
- Attend all Township Council meetings, including evening meetings; keep record of attendance; record/live streams meetings; and take minutes.
- Prepare the Agenda for all meetings of Council in coordination with Council, Administration and Solicitor. Gather information for the agenda, and distribute along with relevant ordinances, resolutions, reports, and minutes.
- Prepare and submit newspaper advertisement and other legal notices of Council in compliance with State and Local laws.
- Post all meeting agendas and minutes on the Township’s website. Maintain and update the Township Council section of the website as necessary.
- Provide update to Department Heads/Administration on action taken by Council at meetings; specifically, the passage of resolutions, ordinances, and other relevant business.
- Keep official Township records updated. The Municipal Clerk is the custodian of all ordinances and resolutions of Council and all official documents, reports, papers, communications, and files of Council. Maintains Township Code through eCode. Updates physical code books twice per year.
- Act as a liaison and coordinates issues with Council, Administration, and the general public.
- Process direct inquiries made to the Council Office via phone and email. Work with the One Center to coordinate follow ups and requests for assistance from the public brought to the attention of Council.
- Assist the President of Council and Committees of Council with room reservations, coordination of meetings, and other administrative tasks.
- Manage budget of Council with expenses primarily related to supplies, advertising, professional development, and events.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Council, resolution, ordinance, or law.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Fundamental abilities necessary to succeed in this position include:
- High degree of multi-tasking and time management capability.
- Ability to organize office operations and keep accurate and complete records of various municipal government procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must have the ability to communicate with the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must have the ability to act as a liaison between Township Council and Township Administration/ Department Heads.
- Must demonstrate skills in typing and transcription.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and Zoom
- Must be able to learn new software tools as required.
- Skill in operating various office equipment, such as personal computer, copier, scanner, etc.
Requirements to Hold Position:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an administrative or similar capacity;
- General knowledge of municipal government
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Experience working with government officials and staff is preferred but not required
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office and other common software applications
- High School Diploma or equivalency diploma.
- College degree a plus
This position operates indoors in an office setting.
- Lunch- 1 hour
- Required to attend Council meetings which generally take place in the evening 2-3 times per month.
- Ability to sit for up to 4 hours.
This position does not require travel outside of the Township.
How to Apply
Full details at: https://www.upperdarby.org/jobs/1475/.