Deadline: December 18, 2023
The mission of the Pennsylvania Municipal League is to strengthen, empower and advocate for effective local government.
This position is a professional level position that performs administrative functions in support of the Executive Director, the Executive team and the League Board of Directors. Duties include assisting the Executive Director in scheduling, communications, special projects and initiatives, board meetings and interactions, and other stakeholder relations.
JOB TITLE :
Reports to: Executive Director
This position may involve travel within the state, as well as occasional out-of-state travel to attend meetings and events, which may also require overnight stays. A valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and the ability to maintain one throughout employment are required.
WORK HOURS & LOCATION:
This position may require you to work beyond a normal work week to accomplish goals and attend meetings or events outside of normal business hours. Schedules are flexible as are work sites, including occasional work-at-home options, depending upon operational needs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS:
This position requires work in an office setting, therefore the ability to communicate in-person, by phone, and in writing is expected. While staffing meetings, programs, conferences, conventions, and other events, and completing related duties, this position will require walking and standing for extended periods. This position may also require moving light objects weighing less than 20 pounds such as mail, supplies, and files.
Essential Job Duties
An employee in this position is required to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties.
- Provides administrative and operational support to the Executive Director and Executive team; participates in front door monitoring, as necessary.
- Schedules meetings and appointments and generally maintains Executive Director’s calendar: schedules and prioritizes member and stakeholder meetings; works closely with the Executive Director to ensure effective and timely follow-up; coordinates internally to ensure accurate and organized shared League calendar.
- Communicates with employees, members, corporate partners, and any person or entity having business with the Executive Director. Manages and supports the Executive Director with the preparation of reports and presentations.
- Maintains confidential files and records of the Executive Office: updates and maintains all governance documents; manages list of League appointments to various committees, trusts, boards, and councils; edits and updates internal documents and League Policy Manual as directed.
- Assists Executive Director with strategic plan management and updates the tracking document as needed.
- Staff liaison to Board of Directors: supports board engagement strategy; works with the Executive Director and League President to schedule board meetings; collects materials and reports to prepare board packets; attends meetings and takes minutes; maintains Board of Director’s dashboard on The League website; manages and supports the Executive Director with committee work.
- Corresponds with high-level government officials to advance the mission of The League. Assists in relationship development with League board of directors, members, and other elected and appointed officials.
- Maintains positive relationship with NLC staff and other state municipal League staff: coordinates attendance and travel at NLC and Region 2 conferences for Executive Director, staff leadership and League President; coordinates travel for League staff members to annual NLC staff conference.
- Collaborates with League staff on planning of the Municipal Leadership Summit: manages dignitary invitations and speaking opportunities; assists in coordination of board dinner and board of director’s meeting; promotes conference to board members and encourages attendance, as well as their participation in promotion of event; prepares delegate information and takes minutes at the Annual Business Meeting.
- Assists with annual playground build project: coordinates with KaBOOM! and municipal representatives; attends planning meetings; assists with grant requests and funding via supportive business partnerships; solicits for volunteers; collaborates with host municipality on ribbon cutting event.
- All other work to fulfill the mission of The League and as directed by the Executive Director.
These minimum and preferred qualifications and positional requirements are necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
Education, Experience, & Subject Matter Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. A minimum of a high school diploma/associate’s is required. Any combination of experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities could be qualifying.
- Understanding of local government activities is desired. Knowledge and experience working with municipal officials and public employees is preferred.
- Association and/or membership organization experience is beneficial.
- A minimum of 2 years of directly related experience is required.
Skills & abilities
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication, attention to detail and organizational skills are required.
- Confidentiality and a professional skill set are required.
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions in the English language is required.
- Sufficient knowledge and skill in the use of standard office software is required.
- The ability to master an organization-specific membership database and specialized applications related to departmental function is required.
- The ability to work independently, under changing priorities, and short deadlines is required.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials, and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, or political affiliation is required.