Deadline: September 27, 2023
The mission of the Pennsylvania Municipal League is to strengthen, empower and advocate for effective local government.
Serves as the deputy director of key operational areas, including The League’s Marketing & Member Services and Training & Professional Development departments, responsible for managing operations, supervising program performance, and coordinating assigned staff and resources. Successful candidate would be the chief membership engagement officer for the association. This position plays an integral role in the ongoing development, implementation, and evolution of the League’s overarching mission, as well as coordinating staff and resources to advance The League’s goals and achieve departmental objectives.
JOB TITLE :
Deputy Executive Director – Membership
Reports to and receives broad oversight from the executive director. Supervises departmental staff directly and through department directors with authority to recommend hiring, disciplinary, and termination actions.
This position involves travel within the state, as well as occasional out-of-state travel to attend meetings and events, which may also require overnight stays. A valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and the ability to maintain one throughout employment are required.
WORK HOURS & LOCATION:
This position may require you to work beyond a normal work week to accomplish goals and attend meetings or events outside of normal business hours. Schedules are flexible as are work sites, including occasional work-at-home options, depending upon operational needs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS:
This position requires work in an office setting, therefore the ability to communicate in-person, by phone, and in writing is expected. While staffing meetings, programs, conferences, conventions, and other events, and completing related duties, this position will require walking and standing for extended periods. This position may also require moving light objects weighing less than 20 pounds such as mail, supplies, and files.
Essential Job Duties
An employee in this position is required to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties.
- Works collaboratively with the executive director and other staff in the ongoing development and implementation of strategic plans, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Oversees the ongoing operations, programs, and services of membership initiatives, including the Marketing & Member Services and Training & Professional Development departments. Oversees planning and development of new programs, services, publications, policy research and analysis, communications, events, mobilization, and outreach strategies. Ensures quality control and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of existing programs, services, and activities.
- Works closely with members and external partners to develop initiatives to further advance and support the League’s overarching mission and goals. Identifies, develops, and implements new community-based programs, partnerships, and other engagement initiatives. Creates mechanisms for internal and external evaluation of engagement initiatives.
- Spearheads special projects and initiatives, develops and coordinates special research projects, completes background research and strategic planning, and assembles and leads a team to ensure implementation and proper program assessment.
- Serves as internal and external department spokesperson and liaison. Proactively cultivates and promotes strong membership and inter-governmental relationships and professional contacts.
- Serves in a consultative role internally and with membership, providing guidance, advice, and recommendations within areas of expertise. Prepares publications, teaches workshops and seminars, makes formal presentations, and serves as “resident expert” on a broad range of topics within span of expertise. Plans, leads, and executes policy initiatives and assists with advocacy efforts as needed.
- Prepares and administers departmental budgets, tracks operational performance, prepares reports, and makes recommendations to the executive director and Board of Directors. In collaboration with legal counsel, may negotiate and administer contracts.
- Recommends departmental hiring, disciplinary action, and termination to the executive director. Ensures diverse recruitment strategies and implements inclusion programs. Ensures proper orientation, training, and professional development of assigned staff, including both technical capabilities and effectively translating The League’s brand and mission to staff. Helps to design company policies that reinforce diversity in the workplace and protect minority groups. Assists with long-range succession planning.
- Provides continual coaching for staff including formal evaluation and informal feedback. Constructively corrects performance issues and strategically rewards and recognizes staff to promote strong motivation, job satisfaction, and continual challenge within the work environment.
- Monitors the impact of technology on departmental functions, operations, and membership services. Works collaboratively with internal information technology staff and external experts to develop recommendations related to departmental technology needs.
- Works closely with internal marketing staff and external experts to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated marketing and promotion campaign for departmental programs and services. Monitors website content and ensures effective and timely use of technology-based communication.
- Serves as official League representative to various boards, organizations, and other groups as assigned. Coordinates meetings, prepares agendas, provides information, issues reports, makes recommendations, and ensures proper maintenance of minutes and other official records.
- Oversees special programs and projects and performs related work as assigned.
These minimum and preferred qualifications and positional requirements are necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
Education, Experience, & Subject Matter Expertise
The League intends that its deputy directors command respect as an expert within their professional field. Formal degrees and professional certifications may advance this objective. Therefore:
- Education or technical training equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in a related field is required.
- Master’s degree and/or professional or technical certifications preferred.
- Substantial experience in a management/leadership role is required.
- Advanced knowledge and expertise related to public policy, policy analysis and development, membership development, communications, educational programming, state and federal legislative process, and related fields is required.
- Municipal management experience preferred.
- Previous experience managing others is strongly preferred.
Skills & abilities
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions in the English language is required.
- Sufficient knowledge and skill in the use of standard office software is required.
- The ability to master an organization-specific membership database and specialized applications related to departmental function is required.
- The ability to work under changing priorities and short deadlines is required.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials, and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, or political affiliation is required.