Deadline: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
West Goshen Township, Chester County (population 23,040), a Second-Class Township, is seeking applications for a highly motivated Permit Coordinator/Assistant Zoning Officer to provide administrative support for zoning and coordination of the permit process for the Codes Department.
As the Permit Coordinator the responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assists codes department personnel in fielding inquiries relating to construction and permitting;
- Assists codes department personnel in ensuring that applicants understand the permitting and inspection process;
- Provides guidance with regards to completing and submitting various permit applications and forms
- Inspects permit applications for accuracy and completeness; processes permit approvals and denials; distributes application forms and documents to appropriate staff for review; monitors application progress to ensure applications are acted on promptly and within required timelines.
- Maintains current and accurate electronic and paper records in an orderly fashion so that information is easy for others to locate.
- Prepares a variety of reports to summarize department activity.
As the Assistant Zoning Officer the responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing setbacks and other zoning area and bulk standards on permit applications.
- Provides guidance with regards to zoning code inquiries (ie. area and bulk standards, signs, and property maintenance code).
- Drafting correction letters, notices of violations, and stop work orders.
- (e.g., abandoned vehicles, weeds/high grass, signs)
The position will report to the Assistant Township Manager/Zoning Officer.
The successful candidate will demonstrate clear communication in both written and verbal form; responsiveness when interacting with clients/customers; the ability to exercise good judgment and tact when responding to Township resident and commercial constituent inquiries; the proficiency to learn new concepts and ideas concerning local government; the ability to act in accordance with established guidelines and standard procedures; the ability to perform a wide variety of tasks and change focus quickly as demands change; manage transitions effectively from task to task; adapt to varying needs and demands and be able to effectively organize, complete and evaluate technical assignments.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Internet applications.
- Knowledge of arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals)
- Knowledge of standard office equipment (e.g., computer, phone, copier, fax).
- Valid Pennsylvania Class C Driver’s License.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in local government, knowledge of Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code (MPC), Zoning Ordinances, and the Property Maintenance Code.
- Experience in the principles and practices of municipal planning, zoning, construction, and land use.
The anticipated salary range is $49,700 – $58,400 with excellent benefits. Actual salary to be based on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references all as one (1) document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via US mail to: West Goshen Township, Attn: Township Manager, 1025 Paoli Pike, West Chester, PA 19380, by 5:00 PM, Tuesday, January 31, 2023. West Goshen Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.