Deadline: Tuesday, February 14, 2023
THE POSITION OF: Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Community Development/Building & Trades
CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME 2763 – Rank & File
PAY RATE: $31.66/hour, 40 hours/week
The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner oversees every phase of construction from planning to finish to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and City of Reading ordinances. The Mechanical Inspector/Plans Examiner has direct contact with external and internal customers; therefor the inspector must have excellent communication and customer service skills. The inspector must be able to readily adapt to, interpret, explain, and implement changing codes and ordinances.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Review and approve HVAC permit submittal documents
- Issue permits for installation, removal, alterations of HVAC equipment
- Schedule and perform field inspections
- Maintain, submit records of field reports, inspection results, plan reviews
- Assist developers, designers, and property owners with code-related problems
- Identify potential structural and building system hazards and recommend abatement action.
- Draft and mail notices of violation, citations, condemnations, demolitions, and abatement orders.
- Support other City departments as necessary
- Perform other related duties as required
- Minimum high school diploma/GED
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Must possess current ICC or equivalent certification for Mechanical Plans Examiner
- Must possess a City of Reading Master Mechanical license or equivalent (Master Plumber License) for a minimum of 10 years