Deadline: Thursday, July 15, 2021
THE POSITION OF: Executive Library Director
DEPARTMENT OF: Library
SALARY: $75,000 – $80,000 w/ Competitive Benefits Package
The Executive Director is charged with overarching responsibility for leading the 258-year-old Reading Public Library – a main library and three neighborhood branches – toward its vision of being a model 21st Century Library, amidst profound social and technological change and shifting patron needs and expectations. The Executive Director will take the lead in executing the initiatives of the Library’s strategic plan, following its strategies centered on growth, creative problem solving, innovation, thoughtful deployment of technologies, and balancing the needs of the Library’s many stakeholders.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Take the leadership role in executing initiatives of the Library’s strategic plan. Designs and monitors performance metrics to measure progress.
- Oversees the planning, design, implementation, coordination, and management of a balanced program of Library services.
- Prepares, manages, and monitors the Library’s annual budget and the District budget. Works closely with the Library’s Board of Directors on matters related to budget.
- Identifies new sources of funding and cultivates relationships with corporate, foundation, and individual donors. Oversees the Library’s grant writing and fund-raising activities.
- Oversees all aspects of personnel management including hiring, training, supervision, evaluation, professional development, disciplinary, enforcement of personnel policies, succession planning.
- Demonstrates commitment to inclusion and diversity through both letter and spirit in policies, procedures, and interactions with all stakeholders.
- Designs, develops, and maintains an organizational structure that optimizes the use of Library personnel and resources in carrying out the Library’s mission.
- Represents Library through frequent interactions with media outlets, community leaders, organizations, municipal administrators, regulators, other libraries, civic groups and general public.
- Provides leadership in development and maintenance of Library’s collections, in its various formats.
- Negotiates the annual District budget agreement between the District libraries and the PA Office of Commonwealth Libraries. Leads development of the District Strategic Plan.
- Maintains a working knowledge of existing and developing technologies in the public library setting. Provides technology overviews and cost-benefit analyses to the Board of Directors, as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school is required.
- PA Public Librarian Certification or good-faith commitment obtaining Certification upon hire.
- Additional coursework or degrees in Business Management and Public Administration are a plus.
- Minimum 5 – 8 years management experience (2 of those at a senior level) in a library setting, with financial, personnel, collections, and operations responsibilities.
- Knowledge of current and emerging library technologies is essential.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Suite of products and Polaris, or comparable inter-library software package, a plus.
Clearances: Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check; Mandated Reporting on Child Abuse; Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance; Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check
How to Apply
Qualified, interested candidates must submit an employment application, current resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2021.