Deadline: Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Class Title: Associate Utility Engineer
Grade Number: 14N
Department: Public Works
Union: Non-Bargaining (MESA Eligible)
The work of this class involves the application of engineering knowledge and skills in the design and construction of capital infrastructure utility and road construction projects. For example, positions in this class exercise technical expertise in the preparation of construction plans and specifications for engineering projects such as stormwater, traffic utilities, water, street, and sewers., etc. The position also performs land development reviews with an emphasis on the various utilities noted above. Supervision may be exercised over the work of Engineering Aides. Assignments require the taking of responsibility for the Utility engineer’s work and afford some opportunity for independent judgment in planning work and making technical determinations. General supervision is received from higher grade Engineers and the City Surveyor. Other technical engineering and engineering administrative work may also be assigned outside of the specific Utility Engineer focus as needed to support the overall function of the Public Works Department. Difficult problems are reviewed and discussed with a supervisor.
Works under the supervision of the City Engineer.
May exercise supervision over Engineering Aides.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyzes and evaluates street construction and repair needs, drafts specifications for bids and supervises all phases of resulting construction and repair projects.
- Proposes projects and cost estimates for inclusion into the Capital Improvements Program.
- Prepares and reviews detailed plans and specifications for complex roadway and utility related construction projects and performs complex calculations related to such projects.
- Reviews major and minor subdivision plans in accordance with City Ordinances, making recommendations relative to street grades, vertical and horizontal alignments, conformance with the City’s Subdivision Ordinance, and the geometry of the parcels of land being subdivided, utilities, and drainage.
- Monitors inspection of construction projects in the field, to ensure conformance with plans and specifications and to note modifications for change order preparation.
- Designs stormwater systems, prepares technical specifications, and administers contracts.
- Reviews erosion and sedimentation control plans and narratives for earthmoving activities not associated with other permits to assure compliance with the activities not associated with other permits to assure compliance with the City’s Land Development Controls Ordinances.
- Assists the Floodplain Administrator in administering the City’s Flood Plain Ordinance regarding review of special development or activities within designated floodways to assure compliance with State and Federal Guidelines.
- Prepares requisitions for materials, and coordinates with supplier.
- Makes necessary budget transfers and completes receiving reports.
- Provides liaison between City engineers and Engineering Aides / Technicians to establish project priority and schedule drafting department support for the completion of Department of Public Works projects; Performs complex calculations, working from current City, State and Federal civil engineering design standards, specifications and drafting procedures, conceptual plans and sketches, field survey data and general instructions to complete design of highway alignment and grade, storm sewer hydrology and hydraulics, right-of-way acquisition and property survey/subdivision projects;
- Writes technical reports, specifications, and contract documents.
- Provides research and file information and services to all Departments and Bureaus of the City.
- May be required to work additional hours or shifts during emergency and nonemergency situations, including night shift and weekends.
- Provide quality and effective customer service with courtesy and understanding to our customers, citizens, and internal departments.
- Performs related work as may be required.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an engineering school of recognized standing with major work in civil engineering
- Some civil engineering experience at the level of Engineer I
- Equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledges, skills, and abilities
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering as applied to the development and construction of a wide variety of city engineering projects.
- Knowledge of estimates and specifications.
- Ability to organize technical material in good report form.
- Ability to plan projects and prepare related designs.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to organize technical material in good report form.
- Ability to use good professional engineering judgment.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license, Class C.
Tools and Equipment Used
Requires intensive daily use of personal computer
Requires knowledge of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite of products
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Site visits and walking will be required with the position. The position requires a licensed driver.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually Moderately quiet.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.