Deadline: Saturday, February 22, 2020
THE POSITION OF: Public Works Director
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Public Works
SALARY: DOQ/Depends on Qualifications
POSTING DATE: January 22, 2020
Under the direction of the Managing Director, provides senior leadership, policy direction, and strategic focus for the Department of Public Works including all engineering, traffic engineering, transportation, fleet maintenance, facilities maintenance, parks, streets, wastewater treatment plant, sanitary and storm water collection, and solid waste services.
Typical job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Leads the development of the department’s strategic plan and five-year capital improvement plan.
- Assures compliance with professional standards and overall engineering integrity of all facilities, equipment and rolling stock.
- Directs the continuous cost evaluation process and initiates cost saving and quality improvement initiatives.
- Serves as the City Engineer providing professional engineering consultation and advice to the Planning Commission, City Council and Administration.
- Functions as a member of the senior leadership team, serving as a resource and partner to the Managing Director and other department directors in studying major issues and trends in identifying special concerns or needs and making recommendations for solutions.
- Takes leadership role in public meetings related to Public Works issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business management, engineering or other related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Registration as a professional engineer in the state of Pennsylvania or the ability to obtain the certification within six (6) months of hire.
- Possesses valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Must have five (5) plus years of experience in the field of Public Works Administration, preferably with exposure to utilities operations and a unionized workforce.
- Has a thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of civil engineering, public works operations, and management theory.
- Has the skill to be a coalition builder and collaborator with a track record of establishing strong partnerships internally and externally.
- Possesses the knowledge of municipal finance, budgeting and capital improvement planning.
- Well-developed communication skills and a participative, inclusive management style.
How to Apply
Qualified, interested candidates must submit a cover letter, application and current resume by February 22, 2020. Applications and resumes can be submitted at www.readingpa.gov under employment opportunities. Questions – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org