Deadline: Monday, April 29, 2019
The IRC Council of Governments is accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. The director oversees the curbside recycling programs in City of Altoona, Hollidaysburg Borough and Logan Township; two composting and recycling facilities; several county-wide special waste programs; and a staff of four. The individual will also serve as county recycling coordinator, facilitating recycling and solid waste planning for the county.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Resource Management, Environmental Studies, or a related field of study. Specific related experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Recycling professional certification or the ability to attain certification within 18 months
- The following management experience is required:
- Staff supervision
- Budget preparation and oversight
- Facilities or operational planning and oversight
- Related work experience and knowledge of government and/or recycling and solid waste management preferred.
- Candidates that do not meet all the above requirements may be considered if the individual has extensive work experience in the recycling, waste or environmental program field.
- A background in grant writing and administration is preferred.
- Directs and manages the activities of the IRC, including financial, operational, personnel, educational and enforcement responsibilities.
- Acts as liaison between the county advisory committee, regulatory bodies and officials and the County and the general public, and disseminates regulatory information as necessary.
- Assists municipalities, business and individuals with auditing waste streams and implementing recycling programs.
- Oversees outreach and enforcement of residential, business, institutional and hauling establishments recycling and waste management activities.
- Manages public education programs relating to the activities– public meetings, mail, radio, newspaper, television, etc.
- Develops and prepares grant applications and manages all grant-funded purchases and activities.
- Coordinates with municipalities, adjacent counties and the Department of Environmental Protection to implement provisions of the waste management plan and waste collection contracts and plan.
- Meets with public officials, private sector solid waste industry representatives and Department of Environmenal Protection.
- Develops and implements plans for the effective management of special waste streams including but not limited to the following: white goods, tires, household hazardous waste, yard waste and covered electronic devices.
- Manages the reporting of information to DEP, the IRC, County Commissioners and general public presenting status of programs and initiatives.
- Coordinates with municipalities, adjacent counties, agencies and public action groups to plan and participate in various activities.
- Oversees recycling processing at approved facilities that are permitted to accept recyclable materials from within Blair County, including the solicitation, negotiation, and administration of agreements between the IRC and processors.
- Performs other duties as described by the IRC Board on an as-needed basis.
Essential Functions and Skills
Candidates shall also:
- Possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license
- Be able to stand, bend, climb, work outside and tolerate working in and around waste and recycling facilities, vehicles and containers
- Be a self-starter able to complete assignments on his/her own
- Possess good interpersonal skills
- Be able to follow both written and oral direction
- Possess good writing and editing skills
- Be able to follow office routine where appropriate and establish routines where necessary
- Be prepared to handle a variety of projects and programs
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, possess sense of touch and hand eye coordination, handle or operate objects, controls, or tools, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing these duties, the employee may often work in outside weather conditions.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, precarious places, and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, bio-hazards, communicable diseases, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and five references, three of which are professional work related references.
Successful applicant will be required to pass a physical, drug screen and background check. Salary based on experience and qualifications with a starting range of $52,000-$67,000 with a generous benefit package.
Electronic submission of letters of interest and resumes is preferred and no hard copy follow-up is necessary. Application packages should be submitted to email@example.com. If hard copy submissions are necessary, send them to the Intermunicipal Relations Committee Attn: Township Manager, 100 Chief Logan Circle, Altoona, PA 16602. Applications will be accepted until the end of the business day on April 29, 2019.